Wednesday 26 August 2009

When Artwork Inspires



"A letter to a Friend about happiness" by Alexander Edwards

 

Let’s be honest, I spend a fair amount of time browsing through art and photography sites such as RedBubble, JPEG Magazine, Ph.Art, Onexposure and Flickr and I look at lots and lots of wonderful art created by really talented people. Sometimes I wonder how life would be different, less colourful, if I didn’t have all this art and photography at my fingertips; I guess I would be browsing through books instead. It wouldn’t be the same.
Occasionally there will be a piece that returns to mind even when I am in the midst of the most mundane of tasks, weeks after I originally viewed or read it. The piece isn’t always about the perfection of that image or writing, or whether it follows rules or not. Generally, the piece has somehow resonated with me in a way that I cannot explain.
Recently, this has happened with a new series created by Alexander Edwards. Edwards created the “Touch Series” in 2008, a series he successfully exhibited in Melbourne. His most recent series, “A letter to a friend...” is simply hand written words on blank white paper. Although simple, the words carry quite a punch, and it is these words, and the sentiments behind these words that have lingered now for weeks.
It got me thinking; there are certainly words that I can say to people in my life, words that I choose not to express, mainly because of the impact the words would have and how sometimes honesty isn’t always the best policy. Inspired by Edwards’ phrases, some of my own phrases I choose not to express are as follows:

I do what I do because it helps me forget.


* * *


I know you think I’m incapable, but when I look into your eyes I see someone who has settled for far less than they think they deserve. And you don’t realise just how obvious your resentment is.


* * *


You made me a promise and although small and insignificant, I’m still waiting for you to carry it out.


* * *


It’s sad how you hide from life and I’m not sure what it is you fear, but it’s all passing you by. Life isn’t that scary. I wish you would give it a try.


* * *


I’m sorry that all this time has passed; I thought that I had only closed my eyes for a moment. I will try harder not to miss anything more from now on.


* * *


After all these years, I realise that I am still invisible to you. Just because you can’t see me, doesn’t mean I’m not here.


* * *


It’s sad the way you live your life through the lives of so many others. Time is ticking. Stand on your own two feet and live your own life.


* * * * *

3 comments:

soxyfleming said...

I responded to Alexanders pieces with one of my own variants I think...and yes I have thought about them since as well. some of these things certainly are better not said, unless you can find a really gentle way, others might not actually be true. that is what I hope

Rosemary said...

Isn't Alexander clever? It's never crossed my mind to write down these thoughts in such a way...I feel it's very confronting. So very brave of you to share your feelings in this way Adriana.... very inspiring indeed :))

Anonymous said...

Even though you may not be saying these things to the people they are directed at, I still think its great that both of you can recognise what is happening inside yourselves.

Red Bubble Gallery

Red Bubble Gallery
view my photography at Red Bubble