Friday 2 March 2012

How to Add the "No Pin" Code to Blogger Site


I've been feeling more and more uncomfortable about the whole Pinterest thing and not only have I removed all the pins from my Pinterest account (except for one), I have also revoked my sharing permissions on Flickr and now on Blogger. This really is such a shame, as I really like the concept of being about to catalogue images and snippets into various categories for further reference purposes, but not at the risk of serious copyright breach. So, if you're feeling uncomfortable with Pinterest's TOS, then you can add a piece of code to your Blogger site that prevents others from pinning your images without your permission.

 This is how:


1. Go to Template > Edit HTML
2. Select "Proceed"

3. Tick "Expand Widget Templates"

4. Now look for the following piece of code < /head > (actual code won't have a space between symbols and letters)

5. Paste in the following code just before the < arrow in the code:

< meta content='nopin' name='pinterest'/ > (remove the space between the < and > keys)




6. Select "Preview" to make sure it's not broken then "Save".

Now if someone tried to pin an image from your Blogger site, the following message shows:

This site doesn't allow pinning to Pinterest. Please contact the owner with any questions. Thanks for visiting!

While this is only a bandaid solution, I hope that Pinterest will look at their very unclear, unfair and contradictory TOS.

Update: It appears that Pinterest have updated their TOS but they are still to alter their TOS enough to answer the copyright concerns of many.



8 comments:

Jan said...

Hi Adriana, for some reason I cannot see the code to which you refer. I share your concerns.
Jan

Unknown said...

My apologies Jan, I've fixed it now so you should be able to see it. Don't forget to remove the space between the < and > keys when you're using the code - the reason why the code wasn't showing up... Thanks Jan :)

Aimee said...

I can see the "no pin" code but I don't see anything after "Look for the following piece of code."
Thanks!

Unknown said...

Here & There, I've edited the post to once again show the piece of code you need. I've placed spaces in between the code, but the code you look for won't have those spaces.

Unknown said...

Thank you for writing this! I've been wanting to do this, and just didn't know how.

Unknown said...

You're welcome Tara.

Jocelyn said...

I have been trying to add the NO PIN code to my blogs, but have not been successful. I clicked on the expanded box, but I don't see a place to add the code that you indicated. Mine says HEAD not headER. I've looked through the whole page and don't find it. Any suggestions??

Unknown said...

Apologies for the confusion Happy Cottage Quilter, but I've updated the post and I've added a screenshot to make it easier to see where to insert the code.

Red Bubble Gallery

Red Bubble Gallery
view my photography at Red Bubble